Saturday 8 February 2014

A night at the Full Moon Folk Club

There's a folk club that's been operating in Edmonton for more than 25 years, but for some reason I've never checked it out until this past Friday. I obviously didn't realize what I was missing.

The Full Moon Folk Club brings in local and international bands once or twice a month from September to April. We had front row seats to Friday's show featuring the Canadian folk group, Madison Violet, made up of singer-songwriters Brenley MacEachern and Lisa MacIsaac. I've heard their music a few times on the radio but wasn't overly familiar with them. They're a great duo with lovely harmonies, plenty of guitar, as well as some fabulous violin, mandolin and harmonica.


The Full Moon Folk Club is held at St. Basil's Cultural Centre in Edmonton, just a short drive south of Whyte Avenue.

 

The Club is operated by a group of dedicated volunteers, and the ladies of the St. Basil's Ukrainian Catholic parish do their part by selling homemade Ukrainian fare like perogies and cabbage rolls to grateful folk club patrons. The next time I'm there, I won't eat supper before I go!


 

Great music and great food in a friendly, relaxed club setting. A great way to spend a Friday night!

 

1 comment:

  1. I'd go for the food alone :) Curtis had a classmate by the name of Brennley McEachern.

    ReplyDelete