Sunday 14 July 2013

Another look at the garden

It's been a week of rather wacky weather around here with a number of thunderstorms, including high winds and hail. One evening I was sitting looking out my kitchen window as it started to rain and thought, I sure do like a bit of rain. But no sooner had that thought occurred when I heard the dreaded ping of hail begin hammering on the roof and windows, and my thoughts changed to, oh no, my hostas! Yes, they took a bit of a beating, for the second time this season, poor things.

Even some of my rhubarb stalks are sporting hail injuries, but luckily there's tons of rhubarb to go around. This weekend, the temperatures have been on the cooler side so I took advantage of the opportunity to do some baking and made some Rhubarb Muffins and Loaves. I don't like turning on the oven when it's hot out. Earlier in the week, I cooked up some strawberry rhubarb sauce although I didn't add the red food colouring that the recipe suggests (I have enough issues of my own without adding red food colouring to the mix!). I can't wait to use the sauce on waffles.

Speaking of strawberries, my tiny little strawberry patch is having a banner year, producing an abundance of berries like never before. I don't know if it's a combination of all the rain we've been having combined with some hot temperatures, or if the plants are just now reaching maturity after three years or so, but whatever the reason, I'm enjoying the results.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. The strawberries look beautiful as do some of your flowers (lilies) and the rhubarb muffins look yummy.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete