Wednesday 4 September 2013

Tour of Alberta - Edmonton time trial race

Well, I have taken in my first ever pro cycling event and even managed to get my picture in Cycling News!
 
It was a really great evening, with perfect weather and a friendly crowd of enthusiastic fans, many of them with their own bikes and sporting their cycling gear. Everyone seemed to be in a great mood.
 
A bunch of us including my coworkers, Jim and Sean, found a spot to watch the race on the hill below the Legislature grounds and just east of the High Level Bridge. So we got to see the riders work their way up the hill, which many of them seemed to do with very little effort.


The riders made several practice laps around the 7.3 km course before the individual time trial officially got underway at 6:15 pm
 

A sheriff on a motorcycle preceded each rider to ensure that the course was clear and that no fans were getting too close to the track

 


Then came the cyclist followed by his support vehicle carrying spare bikes and wheels as well as coaches and mechanics

The riders rode down River Valley Road just below us before making the turn up the hill in front of us
 

This is my very blurry picture of Canada's Ryder Hesjedal who was definitely a crowd favourite. Hesjedal finished 30 seconds behind Peter Sagan who won the time trial in 8.28 minutes.

I'm afraid my camera equipment wasn't quite as sophisticated as this guy's!

 

And when the race was over, the fans got back on their bikes and headed home. I don't think I've ever seen so many cyclists in Edmonton at one time. Meanwhile the racers will continue their Tour of Alberta throughout the rest of this week, ending in Calgary on Sunday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment