Saturday 21 September 2013

Plum abundance

My good friend and fellow food lover, Annette, recently gave me a bagful of plums that came from her own backyard tree. Many people don't realize that you can grow plums here in Alberta, but you can! And these were just delicious.

I think plums are such a beautiful looking fruit, such a gorgeous purple blue colour. Plum colour, I guess you'd say!
 
So what do you do with a bagful of these beauties? I decided to start with a plum crisp. You can never go wrong with fruit crisps, crumbles and cobblers.
 
 
 
 
The basic serving instructions for crisps, crumbles and cobblers is "Serve warm with ice cream." Recently I've been eating them with plain vanilla yogurt, which is great as well.
 
A few days later I decided to do some more baking and made a plum platz. Platz is a traditional Mennonite dessert, sort of like a thin coffee cake topped with fruit and a crumble topping. There are a number of different recipes but this is my favourite. It's included in the Mennonite Treasury cookbook and also featured here on the Mennonite Girls Can Cook website.
Don't you love my nice neat rows of plum pieces? Yes, just call me anal!
 

Here's the platz all ready to go into the oven. I forgot to take a picture after it came out of the oven. I was probably too busy eating!

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness those plums are beautiful; they look similar to the Italian Plums and that platz what can I say.

    ReplyDelete