Wednesday 9 October 2013

Fall colours

I had the day off today and when I finally rolled out of bed this was the sight outside my window. A beautiful day of fall colours and sunshine.

 
I went for a drive this afternoon and captured some of it on camera. Most of the photos were taken at Rundle Park.
 
 
I also whipped up a batch of Pumpkin Hermit Cookies as promised. These cookies have quite a variety of ingredients (raisins, dates, nuts, spices), and some of them require chopping, so it does take a while to get everything together. I'll often make cookies in stages, measuring out the dry ingredients when I don't have a lot of time (or motivation), and doing the rest, like chopping nuts and combining wet ingredients when I have a day off or lots of motivation!
 
This was my mother's mix master from when I was a kid, so it's at least 35 (or 40) years old. It's still going strong and I love thinking of my mom whenever I use it.
 

Pumpkin Hermit Cookies

  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1-1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup pumpkin purée
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
  • 1/2 cup dates, chopped
  • 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, vanilla and pumpkin. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir into creamed mixture. Stir in raisins, dates, nuts, and chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Makes about 60.

I have found that freezing pumpkin purée works just fine, so if you open a large can of pumpkin and don't use it all, just measure it into a freezer container and pop it in the freezer.

 

2 comments:

  1. You got some great photos; I've been amazed at how long the leaves have stayed on the trees. We never did get to the Pembina Hills but I've enjoyed seeing the trees down our street. I'd love to sample one of those Pumpkin Hermit Cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those cookies sure look good!

    Nice pictures too ...

    ReplyDelete