Tuesday 29 October 2013

Fall weather

It's been a week of typically fall weather here in Edmonton, some gorgeous sunny days mixed with days of wind, frost and even some snow.

I finally got around to harvesting my carrots on Wednesday. I had planted them in two rows in this rectangular container in spring.

This is what they looked like in July.
 
By mid-October, the greens were starting to change colour like the rest of the fall foliage but I kept putting off doing the harvesting. Finally, when I heard that there was snow in the forecast for Sunday, I figured it was now or never.
 
Yummm! Nothing like carrots fresh from the garden.

Why buy mini carrots in the store when you can grow your own? I think I should have thinned them out when they first started growing. Oh well, I'll know for next time.
 
 
These were some of the bigger ones.

As promised, we had a light dusting of snow on Sunday. Aren't the colours great on these strawberry plants? I'm always amazed at the various shades of colour that appear in the garden as the autumn days and nights grow cooler.


Sally has really been showing her age this last year, but she did venture outside to soak up some sunshine on one of the nicer days. You gotta enjoy that nice weather while you can.

 

1 comment: