Sunday 8 December 2013

A cold December Saturday

It's been very chilly here this past week. So what does one do on a cold December Saturday? I decided to do a few things around the house to get into the Christmas spirit.

 

I have a lovely large artificial Christmas tree but just didn't feel like going to all the work of putting it up this year. Instead, I set up this little 3-foot tree that I picked up last week at Its A Crock Country Store in Leduc. I had thought I'd put a few small decorations on it, but I actually love it's rustic simplicity with just a string of mini lights so I think I'll just keep it like this.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 
I used to do a lot of card making throughout the year, but in the last while have gotten away from doing it. I almost decided I wouldn't make any Christmas cards this year. But in the end, I decided I would make them again for one more year.
 
 
 

 

And finally I baked some Christmas cookies. This recipe for Ginger Sparklers is one my mom often used to make, not just at Christmas time, but throughout the year. The wonderful flavour of ginger, cinnamon and cloves has made it a particular favourite of mine for Christmas.

 

 

Ginger Sparklers

  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ginger
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves

Mix together butter and brown sugar, then add molasses and beaten egg. Add dry ingredients and mix all together.

Shape into balls and dip tops into white sugar. Place on cookie sheet leaving room between balls for cookies to spread.

Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 8 minutes.


 

1 comment:

  1. It's starting to look a lot like Christmas ....

    ReplyDelete