Tuesday 31 December 2013

When you love cats

Sally loved the heat register
At the beginning of December, I made the very difficult decision to have my dear cat, Sally, put down. It was a lot harder than I expected.

Sally was my first cat (as an adult living on my own) and she was a wonderful companion. Very gentle, loving and affectionate, she loved to sit on my lap and purr.  She was a real purring machine!

I really missed her after she was gone.  The house felt so empty without her.
I knew I wanted to get another cat at some point, and with Christmas just around the corner, I decided that my Christmas present to myself would be a new kitty.

On December 27, my friends Annette and Liz and I headed off to the SPCA. Oh, my goodness, there were so many cats to choose from, and all of them so adorable.  How on earth would I ever choose?


I had decided to get one around the age of 1-2 years and had made a list of all the ones on the SPCA website that fit that criteria.

But as luck would have it, the one that caught my eye didn't even match my specifications. He was 3 years old, but was so spunky and playful, he seemed younger than the 1 year old couch potato in the same room. 

I mean, who could resist this guy?

He was named Creamsicle, which was a fitting description, although I knew I wouldn't be calling him that!




While I filled out the paperwork, Liz and Annette checked out the dogs, including this adorable 2 month old German Shepherd Rottweiler cross. So cute!

The hardest part about going to the SPCA is not taking them all home with you! 


After an initial exploratory sniff around my house, my new kitty has made himself quite at home. I have decided to name him Louis, and he seems happy enough with that decision.

He loves playing around on the stairs and batting at me when I peak at him and wiggle my fingers through the stair treads. He also loves just sitting on the stairs and gazing at his surroundings, just the way Sally used to do. Those stairs are sort of a built in cat tree, I think.

He welcomed his first visitor later that evening, my niece Michelle, and was more than happy to share his affection with her.

When he's not flaked out on my lap, he spends his time chasing this little red mouse suspended on a string from the doorway.

All in all, he's been a wonderful addition to my little home.

No comments:

Post a Comment