Saturday 24 August 2013

Motorcycle visitors

I had two Harley riders drop by my house this week. My sister, Sharon, and brother-in-law, Rick, took a motorcycle holiday, driving from their home in Manitoba through the northern states including the Going-To-The-Sun-Road in Montana and then back up into Canada to Cranbrook, BC. On their way back, they took in Banff and Jasper and then stopped in Edmonton for three days.
 
If you had told me ten years ago that my big sister would end up a motorcycle rider, I would have laughed. But never say never!
 
I still remember the day several years ago when I asked Sharon what she'd got for her birthday from Rick and she said, a motorcycle helmet! I couldn't believe it. I didn't even know Rick was getting back into motorcycles, but suddenly the two of them turned into Harley riders.
 
For the first year, Sharon rode as a passenger with Rick driving. But a female friend of her's got her motorcycle driver's licence and before you knew it, Sharon had decided she would do the same. Now she and Rick each ride their own bikes and are loving it!
 
The funny thing is, if you look up my address on Google Street View, you'll see Sharon & Rick's bikes parked in front of my house. The Google folks must have taken my street photo last summer when Sharon & Rick were here.

We took a ride out to Elk Island Park one evening hoping to see some wildlife, but someone must have told the animals we were coming and they went into hiding. We only saw three bison, a coyote and a beaver on the side of the road who disappeared as we approached. Oh yes, there was also a rabbit and a squirrel!
 
Sharon & Rick lucked out the following evening and saw two moose on their way home from Gord & Laura's acreage south east of Edmonton. We're a family that considers wildlife sightings an integral part of any drive.

 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed seeing your blog; the pictures that you took at Elk Island turned out well. We got home at 4:30; we hit rain between Carmen at Morden and looked like 2 drown rats when we got home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you made it home safely, despite the rain.

      Delete