Wednesday 7 August 2013

Saskatoon picking


My brother, Gord, has planted a lovely hedge of Saskatoons on his back 40, and the berries tend to ripen around the end of July/beginning of August. For the last two years, that also happens to be when Gord & Laura head out of town on vacation.
 


So, my niece, Michelle, and I headed out to the acreage last Friday and spent a lovely evening picking berries, until the mosquitoes got the better of us. 
 

We ended up with about 2-1/2 gallons between the two of us, and left one gallon of those in Gord & Laura's freezer. I've been enjoying the berries on my morning cereal, and come wintertime, I'll be happy to have berries in my freezer for things like Saskatoon muffins.




But I must say, one of my favourite ways to use the berries is in Blueberry French Toast, a delicious recipe from Taste of Home. I alter the recipe by using Saskatoons in place of blueberries and also reduce the cream cheese to one package instead of two, which is just too rich.


Yummm-mmmmy!

No comments:

Post a Comment