Friday 3 May 2013

Cooking

The women at Mennonite Girls Can Cook are celebrating the release of their second cookbook, called Celebrations.
 
If you'd like to win a copy, just visit their blog here.

I have to admit, these days my cooking leaves a lot to be desired.  I used to be so good at making decent meals for myself, but lately my motivation seems to have disappeared.  I still love food!  But it's the meal planning that I have difficulty with.  I like making dishes that allow for leftovers that I can take to work the next day, but not so many leftovers that I'm eating the same thing all week.  And I like things that I can put in the freezer and don't taste like mush when I reheat them.

I guess, like most of us, the thing I like best about food is having good company to share it with.

I took a cooking class called Cooking for One last year with Sally Vaughan-Johnston and got some good recipes and tips.  Here's one of my favourite recipes from that class:

Chicken, Apple and Cheese Quesadilla
Serves 1 (can be easily doubled)

1 9-inch flour tortilla
1 Tbsp peach or apricot jam or mango chutney
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
6 thin slices apple
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped cooked chicken
1/4 cup smoked gouda or other strong-flavoured cheese

Directions:
  1. Lay tortilla on a work surface.  Spread jam over half the tortilla.
  2. Sprinkle mozzarella over the jam.
  3. Top with apple, green onion, chicken and gouda.  Fold uncovered half of tortilla over filling to make a half moon shape.
  4. Place quesadilla on a large non-stick skillet and cook over medium heat, pressing down gently with a spatula, for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown, cheese is melted and chicken is heated through.
  5. If the quesadilla browns before the cheese is melted or chicken is hot, zap quesadilla in microwave for 10 seconds.  It will  stay crispy.
  6. Transfer quesadilla to cutting board and cut into 3 triangles.
Do you do the cooking at your house?  Do you enjoy it?

2 comments:

  1. That recipe sounds wonderful, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you win the cookbook/apron. Sharon

    ReplyDelete