Saturday 1 June 2013

Rhubarb time!

It may have something to do with my Mennonite upbringing, but I absolutely love rhubarb. It also helps that it grows like gangbusters in my garden so there's plenty of it free for the taking. Free food -- what's not to like about that!

There are a ton of great rhubarb recipes out there, but I decided to start the season with Rhubarb Crunch.

Ummmmm, the smell as it's baking is out of this world.

Just a scoop or two of ice cream, a cup of tea or coffee and you're in heaven!

I found the recipe online at The Rhubarb Compendium, but since there are about a thousand and one recipes on that site, I'll print it out for you here.

 

RHUBARB CRUNCH

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 cups sliced rhubarb

TOPPING:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla

Procedure:
In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter; mix until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into an ungreased 9 inch square baking pan. Cover with rhubarb.

For topping, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan and add water. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour over the rhubarb. Top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until bubbly.

Serves 9 (or 2 with big appetites!)

 

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious; I sure hope the rhubarb is still good in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had some with Greek yogurt and I think I like it even more than with ice cream!

      Delete