Sunday 16 June 2013

Taking a day off

We had no concerts scheduled on Saturday, so I decided to take a break from the tour and while the rest of the group went off to visit the city of Torgau, I spent the day "at home" in Wittenberg. I did a bit of laundry in the morning and then rented a bike from Melanie, our host here at Colleg Wittenberg. I really enjoyed spending some time just wandering around exploring the sights at my leisure.
I stopped to have lunch at a restaurant that our guide, Silvio, had recommended on our first day here.
 
A typical German lunch of bratwurst with mustard, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut with a radish and a few greens on the side. Delicious!

By the time I was done I was nearly falling asleep in my plate, so I pedalled home and curled up for a much needed nap.
By late afternoon the rest of the group had returned and we got ready to sing at the 5:00 p.m. service at the Castle Church (where Luther posted his 95 theses and also where he is buried). The church holds an English worship service every Saturday evening from May to October with guest pastors from all over the world.
The church is undergoing major reconstruction for the 500th anniversary in 2017. Given the incredible amount of detail in these churches, it's no wonder they start their renovations at least four years in advance. With scaffolding all around the walls and plywood on the floor, the ambiance left a little something to be desired, but nevertheless we enjoyed being part of an English worship service.
A group of us in concert dress in front of the old Rathaus (City Hall) in Wittenberg (L-R: Bev, Marilyn, me, Elaine, Denise, Gailene, Caryn)
We had the rest of the evening free and we made the most of it, having a wonderful supper at Tante Emma's Restaurant, followed by dessert at an Italian ice cream shop around the corner.
Mushroom pan supper at Tante Emma's Restaurant
A decadent Schwartzwald (Black Forest) dessert!

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you were able to rent a bike and do a bit of leisurely sightseeing on your own. The two meals that you posted look delicious and the Black Forest dessert looks to die for. Sharon

    ReplyDelete